Intro / Day 1














Brownie
Borrego Badlands



Hank's Xmas Search for Meaning


Intro

12/20
Welcome to Hank’s XMAS Brain Blog. Why, you may ask yourself is Hank writing a xmas blog? That atheist commie pinko doesn’t even believe in God, much less christ, santa, and the amazing holiday savings at Walmart! Well maybe that’s why. This year I’ve decided to escape the massive wave of xmas momentum and get away from the tradition of “home for the holidaze”. Way away. Alone.

The christmas of my childhood was always a happy and harmonius occasion celebrated with my parents and many siblings. I still love the “family & friends” philosophy of togetherness in the holiday season; indeed they all welcome me each year to join them and I do quite often, enjoying the warmth of their family love and friendship. Last year I enjoyed christmas with my adopted family in Moravia. I’m sure there will be many more family & friends christmas celebrations in the future. But this year will be different. Perhaps I’ll discover the true meaning of christmas, or something meaningful within me. Or maybe I’ll just successfully hide out for a week.
Now some could see me as a lonely, tragic figure; and I might well be. After all, who actually WANTS to be alone for christmas? Well I guess it’s always been my station in life, to wander and wonder about the world around us. Because I’m someone with no wife-kids-mortgage-boss-debts-food-booze-football-inlaws-shopping-stress this christmas, why not do what I do best: travel!

But alas I won’t be completely alone; I’m taking YOU with me. We’re going on a road trip! That’s right. Maybe a week or so to the wide open spaces of the American West: camping, hiking, exploring, and escaping. Got to be back next week ‘cause I will be with friends in Florida for New Years. So welcome aboard. Brownie (my beloved ‘76 Ford pick-up) is loaded up and tomorrow we’re rolling out of San Diego headed east. Thanx for keeping me company. My life is richer because you’re in it.. And hey, we might even roast some chestnuts (or maybe weiners & beans) over an open fire!


12/21 DAY 1
San Diego, CA.
Unfortunately we’re off to a bad start. Due to technical problems with my notebook’s wireless setup, I’m forced to visit the Apple store genius desk. That normally is a pleasant experience, however the Apple store is located in (horror of horrors!) the Fashion Valley Mall. So, it’s a bit ironic that to escape the onslaught of xmas merchandising fever, I headed right smack into the belly of the beast! The place was mobbed. The parking ramp clogged. The only opening a tight space unfilled by Lexus and BMW drivers wary of door dings adding to their shopping stress. Not a problem for Brownie though! He once ripped the rear bumper off a late model Mazda when the driver, whilst parralel parking, hooked her bumper onto Brownie’s and then hit the gas. Dings? Bring ‘em on! (Where have I heard that quote before?)
I pushed and shoved my way across the mall to the Apple store, which had a line of customers going literally out the door. Kudos to Steve Jobs and the Apple nation for their success with making technology simple, functional, reliable, and fun. Somewhere Bill Gates is having ipod nightmares... Ten minutes at the Genius Bar was all it took to get me back in clover and on my way. Well, back into the holiday shopping frenzy and traffic gridlock of xmas.

Laguna Mountain, CA. (50 miles east of San Diego)
Finally escaped SD traffic and stopped for lunch at the Penny Pines overlook (6,000ft. Elevation) with a beautiful view from Sunrise Highway. Laguna Mountain in the Cleveland Nat’l Forest is a wonderful mountian alpine environment just an hour from SD. No time for a hike though.

Borrego Badlands (100 miles east of San Diego)
Arrived just before dark in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Picked a camping spot in the Borrego Badlands. Today is the shortest day of the year (winter solstice) which is a significant event for many of us non-christians. It’s also the longest night of the year; excellent for viewing the stars, especially in the pitch blackness out here in the desert. I’m no astronomer, but there sure are a lot of stars tonite!
The Kumayaay tribe has been viewing these stars and celebrating the annual winter solstice while living in peace and harmony with this land for over 12,000 years; one wonders how they managed to survive that long without taking advantage of the huge xmas blowout sale at Big Ben’s Carpet Barn in Salton City...

12/22 Day 2
Borrego Badlands
After a chilly but sleepful night, a beautiful sunrise this morning (see attached photo). Went for a short hike , saw a coyote and some lizards. Now we’re off see the wizard! uh, I mean to find a WIFI signal...


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back friends - I'm reliving a past journey in the deserts and mountains of the American Southwest - searching for meaning at xmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to be here with you. For several years I traveled alone throughout the USA, living out of my VW bus and experiencing the wonder of this land.

    ReplyDelete